Magnesium is essential for leading a healthy life, but where can we find it? While most magnesium occurs naturally, especially in seawater, some of it can be found in foods that we eat on a regular basis. However, experts suggest that our bodies need more magnesium than can be found in foods. Therefore, supplementation is recommended for optimal health and wellness.
If you are looking to increase your uptake of magnesium easily, you can start eating more of the following food items. These foods all contain a percentage of the recommended daily intake (RDI) for this important mineral. Seeds and leafy vegetables are your best bet, but consider trying our Mag 2 powder as a delicious daily supplement. Simply add it to food, smoothies or a glass of cold water for added health benefits.
Food that contains magnesium
- Pumpkin seeds – 16g (one-quarter cup) contains 46% of the RDI.
- Spinach – 180g (one cup) contains 39% of the RDI.
- Swiss chard – 175g (one cup) contains 38% of the RDI.
- Dark chocolate (70 to 85% cocoa) – 100g contains 33% of the RDI.
- Black beans – 172g (one cup) contains 30% of the RDI.
- Quinoa – 185g (one cup) contains 33% of the RDI.
- Halibut – 100g contains 27% of the RDI.
- Almonds – 24g (one-quarter cup) contains 25% of the RDI.
- Cashews – 30g (one-quarter cup) contains 25% of the RDI.
- Mackerel – 100g contains 19% of the RDI.
- Avocado – 200g (one medium-sized avo) contains 15% of the RDI.
- Salmon – 100g contains 9% of the RDI.
Other foods that contain magnesium include wholegrain cereals, yoghurt and seeds. Milk and mineral water also contain magnesium, although these are not technically considered foods. The RDI of magnesium is 410mg for men and 400mg for women. Magnesium Café products contain 250mg of elemental magnesium, which means that one serving per day is already more than 50% of the RDI.
Many South Africans don’t get enough magnesium from their diets. These foods will help you to up your intake and improve your health. Supplementation just makes the process even easier and always ensures that your body gets the nutrition it needs. Be sure to consult with your doctor if you are taking medications or are pregnant before trying magnesium products.
To learn more about magnesium and its many benefits for health and wellness, please do not hesitate to contact us. Magnesium Café has over 25 years of experience in the health and fitness industry. Visit our online store to purchase our products and get your health back.
Magnesium Café offers a range of products that are safe for consumption by people of all ages. They have the highest concentration of elemental magnesium on the market and are 100% Halaal-certified.
We are able to deliver to any address in South Africa and Namibia. To stay up-to-date with the latest news and Magnesium Café product launches, follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. Take a look at our blog for more informative articles on magnesium and its importance for healthy living.